As a writer, I know how it feels to sit in front of a blank page when nothing comes to your mind. It is a nightmare that is unfortunately so very real. Once in a while you may get out of ideas on what posts to write for your blog. Even if you have chosen a niche for your blog posts, coming up with fresh topics can be challenging sometimes.
So, what is the remedy of this issue? How do bloggers keep creating interesting blog posts to keep their website running? What can you do if you are also in the same situation? I will share what I do when I face writer’s block and you can do the same.
How to choose topics for your blog posts?
There are different measures that you can implement to make sure that your blog posts are being updated regularly. The success of your blog not only depends on the quality of your writing but it also depends on how consistent you are. Since you are out of ideas, here are a few things that you can do.
- Know what your audience wants: Why do people write blog posts? The precise answer will be to serve the curiosity of the target audience. Every niche has a target audience that the bloggers and companies approach. As everyone has a smartphone and internet connection today, people use Google for everything. When they want to search something related to your niche, they come across your website through search engine results page.
Image courtesy: https://bit.ly/2Gwaz9O
So, when you are running out of ideas, knowing what your audience is looking for will help you. There are tools that can help you what people are searching on your niche. You can also take help from Google and check out the Google search related to your niche.
- Use your social media platforms: If you own a business, you must have official social media pages on different social media platforms. Why don’t you use the platforms to help you generate fresh ideas? How? There are a couple of ways you can engage your followers to share what they want to read about. Here are a few questions that you can ask your followers on your social media pages:
- What are the biggest challenges they are facing associated with your niche?
- Are they planning to invest in any tool or software to handle the challenges?
- Are they already using any tool?
- Are they happy with the tool or do they want to replace it? Do they want help regarding the new tools?
- What are the topics that they want to read on?
- Do they have any favorite blog post of yours? Will they want to read something related to that one?
When your followers answer these questions, you will see some patterns in the answers they provided. While some of them will refer to some common blog posts that they liked, some will refer to a common tool they are using. You will have database that will help you in coming up with ideas for your next few blog posts.
- Read similar blog posts: Why will I tell you to read posts that are related to your industry? This is like telling you to follow what your competitors are doing. You are right. I am telling you to do exactly that. Sometimes, especially when you are out of ideas, checking out similar blog posts can inspire you. You will also know what other companies in your industry are focusing on. This is a way to understand what these companies are not really focusing on. This is how you will be able to come up with topics for creating fresh blog posts. And if you offer what others are not offering, more people will visit your website.
- Include your employees in brainstorming: Assuming that you own a business, you will have employees working with your company. While all of them may not be writers or even interested in blogging, you can still include them in brainstorming. Each of your employees has some qualities because of which you hired them in your company, right? So, why not let them share their knowledge? You can include your employees in the brainstorming sessions to generate new blog topics. The best part is that apart from secondary research, you can conduct primary research because you have experienced people in your company.
- Find out the long-lasting topics: You may be confused with the word ‘long-lasting’ here. Well, by long-lasting I am not asking you to write long articles. There are some topics that are valued by readers even after years of those being produced. You should spend your time researching for topics that are long-lasting. Let me explain you with example. Suppose you are writing an article on logo design. Now, you may associate the article with the sigil designs used in Game of Thrones. While it will be a hit when the show is running, it may lose importance later. Besides, you blog post may come in the search engine results because people will be searching for things or articles related to the show. However, once the craze of the show starts declining, your article will no longer rank well.
On the contrary, logo design is something that is eternal. Not only every company needs logo but most companies also want to know about the ideal logo design for their business. So, instead of focusing on something that is not going to make a lasting impact, try and look for ideas that people are looking for, no matter what industry you are in.
- Use keywords as topics: Believe it or not, your keywords can be your new topics. How? Suppose you have a long tail keyword that says “link building”. You may have used the same keyword in articles that you have written in the past. Now, you can use the keyword to look for new topics related to your niche. How? It’s really simple. All you have to do is go to Google and type the keyword. Google will start showing search results just beneath the search bar. You can pick any topic from the list or you can choose one of the search results and use it the same way to look for more defined topic.
There’s another way you can use the keywords to generate new topics. Instead of writing the keyword first, you have to use the underscore sign (“_”). Open Google and press the underscore followed by a space before writing the keyword. This will also show you what people are searching on the search engine. You can choose the topics shown in the suggestion box or you can take a cue from it and proceed to find out something that is more precise.
- Make use of other parts of Google search: Apart from the search suggestions, there are some other parts that you can take help from. One of those is the box which says, “People also ask”. Whatever you search, there will be a couple of questions that people are asking related to what you searched. You will find at least a couple of ideas in the box. However, if you don’t want to write what’s already written, you can use the suggestions as guide and come up with your new fresh topic.
A similar way to find out new topics is to go beneath the search page. There you will see “searches related to (your keyword)”. Apart from the suggestions that appear on the search box, you can also see some related suggestions. Turn any of these into a new topic for your next blog post.
- Forums related to your niche: There are forums on different niches where people share their thoughts. You have to find out forums that are associated with your niche. The easiest way to do so is to write something that you are searching on along with the word “forum” on Google search. Use the plus (+) sign in between the search and forum. Visit the forums and look for topics that people are talking about. This is a great way to produce user generated content, which is what every company aims at.
- Ask questions: One of the most effective ways of finding new topics for your blog post is to ask questions. However, the key here is to use the WH-questions. So, instead of asking questions starting with verbs, ask questions starting with How, Why, What, When, etc. Use these words before using your keywords. Again, you will need to use the search engine for this method. Use the WH-word and then use your keyword to initiate the search.
You can also ask questions in the comment section of your blog. Or you can check out the comment section to see what people want to read on your website. This is also another great way to produce user generated content on your website.
- Choose a topic that you are confident about: Let’s assume that you have found out what people are searching for using the methods mentioned previously. Now, there will be different topics that people want to know about. While some of these will be broad topics, some of these will be specific. However, don’t try to start with something that you are not confident about.
On the contrary, try and choose topics that you are confident to speak on. It is also necessary that the topics you choose are researchable so that you can create a blog post from a new angle. The idea, as you know, is to present information that your target audience doesn’t know. Even if you don’t find anything new, you can still take a different approach that people haven’t tried yet.
We would like to help you:
Apart from professional bloggers, many companies nowadays have a blog pages that they update frequently. This is part of content marketing. If you are also one of the companies that have understood the importance of having your own blog, the methods mentioned above will help you to keep posting new articles. The same theories can be and are applied by professional bloggers as well.
Even though content marketing is a path to success, many company owners avoid it because they won’t be able to dedicate the time and effort that’s needed. Do you have a blog page on your website that you want update with high quality well-researched content regularly? You can either use the methods we explained above or you can simply hire a company such as Nico Digital that offers content marketing. We can assure you that we never run out of ideas for no matter what type of business you own. As you can understand, even if we have writer’s block, we know how to find our way back. Contact us today to know more about how we can help you.